Monday, December 28, 2009

The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream


The Alchemist: A Fable About Following Your Dream

By Paulo Coelho

Thank you Thank you Elizabeth Barnes. This sending of thanks far exceeds the giving of a simple book. The Alchemist has given me much more than some leisurely hours reading. It has made me laugh, smile and ponder the wonders of human kind. Okay, that may be a bit much, but the book is incredible. It was one of the first times I finished a book and thought to myself, “Alright, let’s read it again.” I have only reread a few book, so this is an exceptional reaction.

The boy is a traveler, so there’s the first reason I liked the book. Secondly, every few pages there is a quotable line applicable to most people’s lives. It could be advice or just worldly knowledge. Thirdly, the book touches on the powers of love and knowledge. I whole-heartedly believe in both of those to be very powerful things in life.

The boy follows his dream, literally. He doesn't give up when people tell him he is crazy. He doesn't even know what his dream is really about, but instead of letting that stop him, he lets the unknown fuel him and his desires to reach his treasure. This beautiful story of courage and adventure is what makes being a traveler so fascinating.

The Alchemist is full of useful, thought-provoking stuff. I’m overly impressed and satisfied by my read. Thank you again Elizabeth Barnes for giving me your beloved copy.

No comments: