Monday, December 28, 2009

Getting Stoned with Savages: A Trip Through the Islands of Fiji and Vanuatu



I picked this book off the "Note Worthy Non-fiction" table in Barnes & Noble for a few reasons:
1) I have heard the title mentioned to me by a Californian girl I met in New Zealand who was living in Vanuatu as a peace corp personal, and she recommended the book to learn something about Vanuatu
2) I was completely shocked that I recognized the title as a recommendation
3) Its a travel novel about some Pacific Islands
4)There is a topless man drinking out of a coconut
5) It says "Getting Stoned" in the title.

Those seem like five good reasons. I have now laid on the beach here in Key West, Florida getting through the first thirty pages and I love it. I like how the author writes. And even more I like what he has to say about the western world versus his life in the pacific isles.

This is going to be a good read.

No comments: